- Learn a foreign language early in life
- Live abroad (we chose Germany) or travel often
- Attend schools abroad (we chose Germany)
- Start music lessons as children
- Be a role model as a parent
- Learn compassion, understanding, respect
- Get a good education; practice your faith
- Work hard at everything you do (school, music, sports, job, etc.)
- Work well with others
- Be a leader and be kind; speak truthfully.
- Love yourself, your family and others; smile
Each family has different values and expectations. We are no different. We valued education above all else. We valued learning a foreign language and playing a musical instrument. We valued travel and living abroad and learning to become a tolerant individual who was understanding of others. We wished our children happiness in life and allowed them to choose what they wanted to major in when they attended college. We let them choose their pathways in career choices. There were many role models along the way: a grandfather who was an MD; a grandmother and aunt who were both Registered Nurses; both parents and another aunt had achieved Ph.D. and law degrees and worked in education and science research.
Our son chose to major in business with a concentration in finance. He then selected a law school and is a lawyer today. Our daughter majored in English, pursued a paralegal certificate and then decided to study nursing and doubled up with courses to become an RN and earn her B.S. degree in nursing at the same time.
We celebrate their successes along the way. Our son with a promotion and now our daughter an award at the hospital where she works. Described by her colleagues as kind, professional, pleasant, compassionate and willing to help colleagues, she was further described as a strong nurse.
Pleased and proud of both of them, what parent could ask for more? Kudos for the spotlight on you, Emily, and lovely note from the CEO. Bravo to you, Tom, for the promotion and being selected to attend workshops. You are both our pride and joy, and we would have it no other way. What you have become makes us very proud. Happiness in life to both of you.